Friday, March 22, 2013

poetry

Another great week…time is flying! I have so much to cover with my students and so little time to get it all done. I am moving on to time after the spring break. I found some really great activities and sites to do/use for meeting the needs of the many levels that I have in my classroom, as far as math goes. The links are below.








I am thinking that I will need to spend a couple of extra weeks with NF reading. Kids are struggling with pulling out the "Big Ideas" and supporting it with text evidence. I think they just need practice…constant practice.

We worked a little bit with poetry writing this week. Shared some reading of Jack Prelutsky's work. They love his work…such kid friendly and enticing topics for all. I also let the kids dive into Dr. Suess for a workshop. They were able to use the mentor to write a parallel piece. They came up with some pretty interesting things.
For a writing sample for this week I asked the kids to think about what they would do if it were a "Cold rainy day" and write a poem using The Cat in the Hat as a mentor. I will use this for a BB display.

No comments:

Post a Comment