Thursday, December 19, 2013

Great Book!

Just wanted to share!
During the Summer Institute on the Teaching of Reading at Teachers College in August 2013, I was introduced to Jackqueline Woodson's book Each Kindness. It depicts a wonderful story that has become one of my favorite books of this school year. I have used it in so many ways as a mentor text. The kids love it and the story lends itself to so many great literacy activities. I used it during our character unit to track the feelings, actions and words of the characters. We explored the relationships between the characters in the book, as well as engaged in a variety of whole class discussions around the theme.
My favorite quote from this book is... “This is what kindness does, Ms.Albert said. Each little thing we do goes out, like a
 ripple, into the world.”


PEACE!